Monday, April 17, 2006

Yoshi's Baby Boy 9months and 90 pounds later


It's great to here he went to a great home. I bet no one comes in this house un invited when they see this black faced bear staring at them.

Here is the note the new parents sent me.
Hey... I'm really sorry it took so long to get back to you guys...
Kuma is doing better now than he was about two weeks ago. He got kennel cough accompanied by a upper repository infection, most likely from his obedience class. Several dogs in class all got sick at about the same time. His weight was up to around 90lbs at his nine month birthday and he lost TEN pounds while he was sick He wasn't well at all. He just moped around and slept all day, with snot running out his nose the whole time. It was the first time in my life that i had to pick boogers from a dog and wipe a dogs nose. Our vet put him on two different medications and it cleared up almost immediately. (really about three days) His weight has picked back up now though.
I sent six pictures that were fairly recent. In Kuma_1.jpg you can see the way that he spends all his time, does his family members do the same. I would think that most Akitas do this because of the heat down south, but i don't know any others.
He is doing extremely well in his obedience class. This is something that I think greatly surprised the instructor as she thought that he would be aggressive and non-responsive to commands. Now she says he is the best akita that she has had... she been doing this for around forty years now.
I would be interested to know how his sisters are doing and if they have the same sweet disposition that he has? He is not a total push-over though. When we walk him at the beach every weekend, people come out of their cabins to ask all kinds of questions about him. When adults approach him quickly and loudly, he jumps back and growls. But with kids, they could run up and kick him in the mouth and his tail would still be wagging. More calm adults that don't seem to be bold and loud he likes just as much as kids. The hurricane has helped greatly with his socialization, being around my sisters three kids and all the other animals at the house. (kids aging from 8 to 5 to 1 and 1/2) He hasn't gotten in anymore major trouble since my last email, but he has made us be more aware of his possible escape routes... like having to close the garage door when no-one is home because of the fear that he will just open the door and wander out into the woods. He still amazes us with his insights and constant attempt at understanding us. He always this questioning look on his face, like he is always trying to figure out why we do things. When someone is sick in the house, he is either there with them or is diligently checking on them from time to time... especially if it is one of the kids, he doesn't want to leave their side.
A couple of questions: (1) What do you feed the adults? I hear so many different recommendations from all different people. I just worried that he is growing to fast for his bones. From everything that i have read, he should be no bigger that 85lbs at a year. I now own and have read three different akita books. I really do love this breed.
(2) Do you have anymore pictures of the parents and/or sisters that you could send? I love to look at the way his is developing different features from each parent. I would also like to see how his sisters are growing compared to him.
(3) Anymore breeding plans in the future? I'm not ready for another dog now but I do remember Matt mentioning that he might look into the Rhodesian Ridgeback. I might be interested in that one day down the road.
(4) If you can't open attachments at this I will resend the pictures to Matt's email, just let me know.
(5) I would like to know about how much his parents are weighing in at... I want an idea of how big he is going to get. Was his mom or dad 90lbs at nine months.
(6) How much did you say you exercise them at a time? We walk Kuma for about 45 mins everyday but I cant get his fat a$$ to run for very long. I know that I should wait till he is two, but I like to make him work every now and again. I'm thinking about getting his OFA (hip certification) and getting his eyes certified for breeding sometime down the road. But we'll see. Is your male still intact and do you think that it is something i need to do if he is not going to be bred?
Anyways this has gone on too long. Now you see why I waited so long to email back. I have some much to say and ask and only a little time to sit down and do it.
Thanks again for the special friend that Magen and I now enjoy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Been there before. Site Feed